5/26/13

Homemade Topsy Turvy Planter


So, you spent all spring keeping your tomato plants warm and well-watered. You grew a few extra from seed as an insurance policy, but now they're just sitting there wilting while the others happily flourish in the garden. What's a homesteader to do?

Since I don't have anymore room in my garden, I thought I'd make an upside-down planter for them. I'm sure you've all heard of the topsy turvy tomato planter that basically lets you grow these savory little fruits with zero space. This is basically the same thing, but I used an old hanging pot instead of buying the works myself from Walmart. 

Sorry I didn't take any action photos, but the construction is pretty simple. All I did was make the hole in the bottom bigger with some scissors. Then, I coaxed two of my plants through the opening and faced then in opposite directions. They're actually sideways in the pot, but since tomatoes are actually a vine (we grow them like bushes in the North), they don't mind being a little contorted. Then, I dumped potting soil on top of the roots.


I used sticks and string to pull the plants up a little bit. They'll do this on their own, as all plants naturally bend towards the sun, but I figure the extra support will make them yield faster. On top of the soil, I placed the perforated plastic piece from inside the original hanging pot. I then put a rock on top of this, and later, I added some wood chips. All of this, I'm hoping, will reduce erosion and retail moisture.


No guarantees this will work, but it's worth a shot. Anyone else have any luck growing tomato plants upside down? Let us know in the comments!

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At June 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM , Anonymous Topsy Turvy said...

Wow, that is a pretty cool invention. I may have to build me one of those this summer and save me some money.

 

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Living the Rustic Life: Homemade Topsy Turvy Planter

Homemade Topsy Turvy Planter


So, you spent all spring keeping your tomato plants warm and well-watered. You grew a few extra from seed as an insurance policy, but now they're just sitting there wilting while the others happily flourish in the garden. What's a homesteader to do?

Since I don't have anymore room in my garden, I thought I'd make an upside-down planter for them. I'm sure you've all heard of the topsy turvy tomato planter that basically lets you grow these savory little fruits with zero space. This is basically the same thing, but I used an old hanging pot instead of buying the works myself from Walmart. 

Sorry I didn't take any action photos, but the construction is pretty simple. All I did was make the hole in the bottom bigger with some scissors. Then, I coaxed two of my plants through the opening and faced then in opposite directions. They're actually sideways in the pot, but since tomatoes are actually a vine (we grow them like bushes in the North), they don't mind being a little contorted. Then, I dumped potting soil on top of the roots.


I used sticks and string to pull the plants up a little bit. They'll do this on their own, as all plants naturally bend towards the sun, but I figure the extra support will make them yield faster. On top of the soil, I placed the perforated plastic piece from inside the original hanging pot. I then put a rock on top of this, and later, I added some wood chips. All of this, I'm hoping, will reduce erosion and retail moisture.


No guarantees this will work, but it's worth a shot. Anyone else have any luck growing tomato plants upside down? Let us know in the comments!

Labels: , , , , , ,