12/18/13

Myrrh for Menstruation



It's that time of year again when gold, frankincense, and myrrh, make their appearance. Most of us are familiar with the story of the Three Wise Men who brought these gifts to the Christ Child, but not many know of the incredible healing properties that these treasures bring with them. Both frankincense and myrrh can be used medicinally but it is myrrh that I will concentrate on in this post. 

What is it?

Myrrh is the aromatic resin and natural gum of the tree genus Commiphora. It comes from a very small region of the world and can be found in Yemen, Somalia, Eritrea, and Ethiopia. Another species of Commiphora trees also grows in some parts of the Arabian Peninsula. 

This aromatic resin is extracted by cutting the tree through the bark and into the sapwood and collecting the sap from within. The gum is waxy and quickly hardens into crystals. Myrrh essential oil is then made by steam distilling the hardened sap crystals. 



Medicinal Properties

Myrrh is incredibly powerful. It has held many uses over the millenia -- from mummification in Egypt to anointment in religious ceremonies to the release of stagnant blood in medicine. 

It is an anti-septic, an anti-viral and an anti-bacterial, and can be used for a variety of ailments. It is great for dressing wounds, treating mouth sores, and soothing toothache pain. 

Taken internally it can clean the colon, promote peristalsis, and prevent blood absorption of toxins in the intestines. 

In aromatherapy, it can be used to uplift, to purify, and to heal, and has been used for thousands of years as an incense in religious ceremonies around the world. 




Myrrh for Menstruation

But perhaps one of the most powerful properties of myrrh is that it is a "blood-mover". Myrrh is used in traditional Chinese medicine to purge stagnant blood from the uterus.

I have been struggling recently with hormonal imbalances that have led to very irregular cycle patterns. I use the Creighton Model FertilityCare System to both track my health, as well as to either avoid/achieve pregnancy. 

Well, with a very abnormal cycle after the wedding (probably due to both stress and not eating right), I was not able to determine my ovulation day and the days of my cycle just kept creeping on. By day 48, I was starting to get worried that I would never menstruate. I knew I wasn't pregnant so I researched and learned about the blood-moving properties of myrrh. 

Within two days of rubbing myrrh essential oil on my lower abdomen, I began to menstruate. I knew that my body was not naturally preparing for menstruation before I applied the oil because I usually experience a wide range of PMS symptoms at least a week before my period(read why PMS isn't normal). It really was the myrrh that set things in motion! 

Now I will always keep myrrh on hand for cycles such as these!




A Word of Caution


Essential oils are extremely powerful. They can be used to treat many different ailments, but they must be used properly and with care. Always read about the potential side effects of an oil before applying to your skin or taking internally. 

Internal consumption of essential oils can be done effectively but only if one is extremely well-read on all side effects and contraindications beforehand. View the topical application and internal consumption of these oils as you would medicine. 

DO NOT USE MYRRH IF YOU SUSPECT PREGNANCY. Because myrrh is a "blood-mover" it can cause a miscarriage. 

Be very careful with internal consumption of myrrh. Large amounts of myrrh taken internally can cause kidney toxicity. 


Where to Find Essential Oils

There is much debate on where to find therapeutic grade essential oils. You may have heard of Young Living or dōTERRA essential oils. These companies often claim that only their company produces the purest essential oils.

These claims are totally bogus. 

A friend of mine introduced me to Edens Garden. Just as concerned about the quality of essential oils as me, she sent the company an email with a list of her questions. This was the response she got back. I was just as pleased as she was with the answer. Now I only support Edens Garden because I know they are both therapeutic grade AND affordable. 




What are your experiences with essential oils? Have you ever used myrrh for menstruation?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Lady E. said...

How awesome! This is a great post. I love EOs, but have never used Myrrh before. Clary Sage is another good one to bring on menstruation.

 
At December 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Kristin | Living the Rustic Life said...

Thanks, Lady E! I'll have to add some Clary Sage to my medicine cabinet.

 

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Living the Rustic Life: Myrrh for Menstruation

Myrrh for Menstruation



It's that time of year again when gold, frankincense, and myrrh, make their appearance. Most of us are familiar with the story of the Three Wise Men who brought these gifts to the Christ Child, but not many know of the incredible healing properties that these treasures bring with them. Both frankincense and myrrh can be used medicinally but it is myrrh that I will concentrate on in this post. 

What is it?

Myrrh is the aromatic resin and natural gum of the tree genus Commiphora. It comes from a very small region of the world and can be found in Yemen, Somalia, Eritrea, and Ethiopia. Another species of Commiphora trees also grows in some parts of the Arabian Peninsula. 

This aromatic resin is extracted by cutting the tree through the bark and into the sapwood and collecting the sap from within. The gum is waxy and quickly hardens into crystals. Myrrh essential oil is then made by steam distilling the hardened sap crystals. 



Medicinal Properties

Myrrh is incredibly powerful. It has held many uses over the millenia -- from mummification in Egypt to anointment in religious ceremonies to the release of stagnant blood in medicine. 

It is an anti-septic, an anti-viral and an anti-bacterial, and can be used for a variety of ailments. It is great for dressing wounds, treating mouth sores, and soothing toothache pain. 

Taken internally it can clean the colon, promote peristalsis, and prevent blood absorption of toxins in the intestines. 

In aromatherapy, it can be used to uplift, to purify, and to heal, and has been used for thousands of years as an incense in religious ceremonies around the world. 




Myrrh for Menstruation

But perhaps one of the most powerful properties of myrrh is that it is a "blood-mover". Myrrh is used in traditional Chinese medicine to purge stagnant blood from the uterus.

I have been struggling recently with hormonal imbalances that have led to very irregular cycle patterns. I use the Creighton Model FertilityCare System to both track my health, as well as to either avoid/achieve pregnancy. 

Well, with a very abnormal cycle after the wedding (probably due to both stress and not eating right), I was not able to determine my ovulation day and the days of my cycle just kept creeping on. By day 48, I was starting to get worried that I would never menstruate. I knew I wasn't pregnant so I researched and learned about the blood-moving properties of myrrh. 

Within two days of rubbing myrrh essential oil on my lower abdomen, I began to menstruate. I knew that my body was not naturally preparing for menstruation before I applied the oil because I usually experience a wide range of PMS symptoms at least a week before my period(read why PMS isn't normal). It really was the myrrh that set things in motion! 

Now I will always keep myrrh on hand for cycles such as these!




A Word of Caution


Essential oils are extremely powerful. They can be used to treat many different ailments, but they must be used properly and with care. Always read about the potential side effects of an oil before applying to your skin or taking internally. 

Internal consumption of essential oils can be done effectively but only if one is extremely well-read on all side effects and contraindications beforehand. View the topical application and internal consumption of these oils as you would medicine. 

DO NOT USE MYRRH IF YOU SUSPECT PREGNANCY. Because myrrh is a "blood-mover" it can cause a miscarriage. 

Be very careful with internal consumption of myrrh. Large amounts of myrrh taken internally can cause kidney toxicity. 


Where to Find Essential Oils

There is much debate on where to find therapeutic grade essential oils. You may have heard of Young Living or dōTERRA essential oils. These companies often claim that only their company produces the purest essential oils.

These claims are totally bogus. 

A friend of mine introduced me to Edens Garden. Just as concerned about the quality of essential oils as me, she sent the company an email with a list of her questions. This was the response she got back. I was just as pleased as she was with the answer. Now I only support Edens Garden because I know they are both therapeutic grade AND affordable. 




What are your experiences with essential oils? Have you ever used myrrh for menstruation?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,